Doing Murph May 30?
Register and Pre-Order Your T-shirt by emailing email@example.com.
- $20 per t-shirt
- Choice of Blue, White or Red
See below for full event details.
Front of Shirt
Back of Shirt
The Event – May 30, 2016 at 8:00 am
Every year on Memorial Day, Americans honor those who have fallen serving the United States Armed Forces. At CrossFit 100 we have a tradition of supporting the The Murph Challenge by completing “Murph” the workout on Memorial Day.
What Is Murph?
If you’re not familiar with the CrossFit classic hero WOD Murph here’s the workout:
- 1 mile run then
- 100 pull ups
- 200 push ups
- 300 squats
Partition pull-ups, push-ups, and squats as you see fit) then….
- 1 mile run (Competitive athletes may choose to wear a 20# weight vest or body armor for the workout).
The Murph Hero WOD was originally posted on CrossFit.com on August 18th, 2005 by Lauren Glassman. The description read as follows:
“In memory of Navy Lieutenant Michael Murphy, 29, of Patchogue, N.Y., who was killed in Afghanistan June 28th, 2005. This workout was one of Mike’s favorites and he’d named it “Body Armor”. From here on it will be referred to as “Murph” in honor of the focused warrior and great American who wanted nothing more in life than to serve this great country and the beautiful people who make it what it is. Partition the pull-ups, push-ups, and squats as needed. Start and finish with a mile run. If you’ve got a twenty pound vest or body armor, wear it. Tips And Tricks For most of the population Murph’s 200 pushups are the limiting factor. Many athletes will bite off more than they can chew attempting to break them up in to sets of 20. By the time they’ve accumulated the first 100 pushups they are struggling to string three together at a time. Pushup burnout can be prevented by partitioning the workout wisely.”
Listed below are some rep schemes to consider:
- 5-10-15: The 5-10-15 scheme is probably the most common pattern people succeed with. This mirrors the rep scheme of the CrossFit benchmark workout Cindy: 20 rounds of 5 pull-up,s 10 pushups (If you are new to Murph, be smart and shake out your arms after five reps, from the very beginning).
- 15 squats 5-5-5-15: If pushups are a particular challenge for you consider the following scheme 20 rounds of 5 pushups, 5 pull-ups, 5 pushups, 15 squats.
- 5-5-5-10-5: Similar to the 5-5-5-15 20 rounds of 5 pull-ups 5 squats, 5 pushups, 10 squats, 5 pushups.
What To Expect
Times vary quite a bit on Murph. The mile route will of course be a big factor in determining your time. As a rough guideline though consider the following for an athlete (male or female) completing the workout without a weight vest:
- +70 Minutes Beginner
- 40-70 Minutes Intermediate
- 30-40 Minutes Advanced
- 30 Minutes or less Elite